RinconRincón is a municipality of Puerto Rico founded in 1771 by Don Luis de Añasco (Founder of Añasco in 1733). It is located in the Western Coastal Valley, west of Añasco and Aguada. Rincón is spread over 9 wards and Rincón Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). It is part of the Aguadilla-Isabela-San Sebastián Metropolitan Statistical Area. The word "Rincón" means corner. Rincón is on the northwestern part of Puerto Rico.
It is home to many of the surfing beaches in Puerto Rico, including Domes, Marias, Tres Palmas, Sandy Beach, Pools Beach, and Rincon Town Beach Plaza. It is also home to Caribbean beaches including Córcega Beach. The half-dozen reef-lined Atlantic beaches have become a winter mecca for skilled surfers since the World Surfing Championship was held here nearly twenty years ago. Endangered humpback whales visit in the winter.
Rincon is known for water sports and deep sea fishing, but there are so many other activities to fill out your vacation. You'll find sunset cruises, parasailing, and horseback riding , along with whale watching and healthy living activities among many other fun day trips and tours in and around Rincon and Western Puerto Rico.
GeographyLand Area: 36 sq km (13.8 sq mi) The town of Rincón is located in the Western Coastal Valley, west of Añasco and Aguada. To the north, nestles between "La Cadena" Mountains and a series of beaches facing the Atlantic to the north and the Caribbean to the south.
- Domes Beach
- María's Beach
- Steps Beach
- Macor by the Sea
- Balneario de Rincón
- Punta Higüeras Light was built by the Spaniards in the early 1890s and rebuilt after an earthquake in 1921. This working lighthouse uses an unmanned 26,000-candlepower rotating beacon.
- Rincón Pottery: Working studio and gallery in Cruces, Rincón. Offers "Hands on Clay" workshops.
- Bonus Nuclear Plant
- Tres Palmas Coral Reef Reserve
- Surf Town
- The Spanish Wall
- Rincon Skate Park (indoor SK8 street course)
- Festivals and Events
- Whale Festival - Oct
- Rincón International Film Festival 2011: April 12–16
- Coconut Festival (Festival del Coco) - May
- Feast of the Patron Saint (Fiestas Patronales), Santa Rosa de Lima - August
- Triatlon and Triatlon Caribbean Cup
- Numerous Surfing Championships
- Local Band (Reggae and Latin Rock)
- Every year, Rincón celebrates a patron saint festival. The festivities include dances, food, parades and religious processions. (787) 823-2575
Rincon is well known as a place to surf. What put Rincón on the map was the 1968 World Surfing Championship, held at Domes and Maria's Beaches. The winter surf along Rincón's coast is some of the best in the region. Generally regarded as one of the best surf spots across the globe, Rincón draws surfers from around the world. Rincón is the center of the island surf scene. Dubbed the "Caribbean's Hawaii," winter waves here can approach 25–30 feet (6.7m) in height, sometimes equaling the force of the surf on Oahu's north shore. Famed surfing beaches in town include Little Malibu, Tres Palmas, Maria's, Indicators, Domes, Pools, Sandy Beach and Antonio's. The best time to surf is from November through March, but summer storms can also kick up the surf during the late summer.
Best West "Sunset" PointsPuerto Rico's west shore "sunset points"; Barrero Beach, Corcega Beach, Steps Beach, Maria’s Beach and The Rincon Lighthouse for great sunset viewings.
GPS coordinates for the above sunst spots...
Corcega Beach: (18.329653, -67.251611)
Maria's Beach: (18.357553, -67.269241)
Steps Beach: (18.349821, -67.264647)
Rincon Lighthouse / El Faro de Punta Higuero: (18.362007, -67.270585)
Beaches GPS Coordinates along Rincón's costline
- Almirante Beach: (18.298285, -67.230566)
- Antonio's Beach: (18.371439, -67.253869)
- Barerro Beach: (18.303765, -67.238130)
- Corcega Beach: (18.329653, -67.251611)
- Domes Beach: (18.364299, -67.269372)
- Little Malibu Beach: (18.345702, -67.261975)
- Maria's Beach: (18.357553, -67.269241)
- Pools Beach: (18.369640, -67.261098)
- Rincon Public Beach: (18.340309, -67.256325)
- Sandy Beach: (18.370417, -67.256784)
- Spanish Wall Beach: (18.368094, -67.264967)
- Steps Beach: (18.349821, -67.264647)
Stay with us at Villas de Costa Mar for clean, safe, secure, comfortable accommodations in Dorado Puerto Rico and do day trips to anywhere in the island. Directions and instructions in our rentals and on our website...